Monday, January 15, 2018

Baptism!!!

How are you doing??

This week truly has been a good one. 
Two major events happened:
1 Final interview with President Chesnut
2 Baptism of Robert Lopez
With the interview I essentially cried for over a half hour with President. We both shed many many tears as we talked about the last 2 years. He talked about some comments that I had made in meetings that had been having an impact on other missionaries. He told me that I was being quoted across the mission.  That was really neat to hear. Then he paid me the highest compliment that I have ever received and it was an answer to prayer. Everyone wonders if their mission had been a success and accepted of the Lord. I've never really struggled with knowing that, but The Lord still told me an answer that I was starting to want. 
On Saturday we had that baptism for Robert Lopez. Elder Wegelin was able to come to it too! I wanted to share with you something that Robert said while we were changing after performing the baptism itself. We walked in and he said "Thanks for baptizing me. I've actually been baptized before in my Mom's church, but thanks for doing the one that counts" So I said "Thanks for picking me to baptize you. It was a privilege." Then he said something along the lines of, "Well I picked you because with you I changed the most. You helped me to overcome a lot of different things and change to become how I am now. I had a lot of missionaries, and you made the difference." That was something that I've been told once before, several years ago. That struck a cord with me. It brought back memories of a mini mission when I was a punk 17 year old kid. I know the Lord has a reason for where He sends us. I was sent here to this area for a couple reasons. One of the chiefest, was Robert Lopez. I told him, "You definitely aren't the same person who I met 3 months ago." And Robert Lopez truly isn't the same. He has changed. He has brought forth the fruits of repentance. He has desires to go to the temple. He has a hope for what can happen in the future. He wants an eternal family. He reads his scriptures on his own. He prays so many times all day long. When he first met the missionaries about 6 months ago, he was an atheist who was talking to the Sisters more out of curiosity than anything. I got to the area right when he had an experience where he felt the spirit. He felt some pain go away. That was his first chance that he had to know that the power of Christ's atoning sacrifice can do something. From there he spiraled downward for a little bit. But he has recovered completely on his own. He asked us to be baptized. He asked us how to go to the temple. He asked us about receiving the priesthood. And now, he stands at the beginning of his new life. He is a new person. He has been born again, and EVERYONE can see it. They can see the stark contrast of Robert Lopez six months ago and Robert Lopez today. He is someone that I hold as a close friend. 

He was confirmed yesterday. It went well as friends and leaders stood in the circle. It was a great occasion. One I do not wish to forget anytime soon. 

Pretty much, it was a good week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That took me forever to type.. 

I love y'all and each y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment