Monday, January 8, 2018

In the 60's in January

So how are things going for you? Things are going well over here in the YSA. We are really really enjoying our time here. We seem to be having success. We are teaching people. We are helping them build their faith. So it works out pretty well. Also, in contrast to my last winter, this one has been SUPER nice! It's been about 60 for the past 3 weeks or so. Not bad for a supposedly cold climate!

We have a baptism coming up this week for Robert Lopez! We are really pumped for that! He has changed so much since I've first been here. When I got to the area, he wasn't sure if there was a God. Now he has a testimony of the atoning sacrifice of our Lord. He has felt a token of that power. He has passed his baptismal interview(again). He asked us to be baptized. He is ready. He is committing himself to do things. He is reading the scriptures on his own. He is praying on his own. He comes to church on his own, and all the activities. Many of the people in the ward think he is already a member... So we are EXCITED for this week and to see the support that he will get. 

Going to MLC this week was eye opening. As we talked about 1 what I've learned as a leader and 2 what traits are in my favorite leaders, I've been able to figure out what things I still need to develop in myself. As I've looked back on my favorite leaders, Young men's leaders have come to my mind, my parents, my uncle and aunt, my Bishop and so many other people that I can't even list. But they all have traits that I love. That I want to emulate. That I NEED to figure out how to emulate. They are all friends. I feel oh so confident in saying that they are all friends. That is what has been the biggest impact on me in my life, is having someone that I could talk to. Whether for 3 hours or for 3 minutes. And as I thought back on what I've learned as a leader, it's that very thing. That being a missionaries friend will go a lot longer and further than being anything else. Not their "pal", or their "best bud", but a friend. Someone they can trust and they can council with. With my leaders that has been the thing that I've desired the most. 

Looking through who the Lord has placed in my path at what times has been really cool. I've loved to see which people I've connected the most with. Whether it be companions, or members of the zone, or whoever. I've got a lot of people that I would name among some of my best friends who I've met on the mission. I have companions who know who I am on the inside, as well as the outside. Who I trust that no matter what the situation is, they will say the right thing. That no matter what the problem is, we can work together to figure it out. Both on and off the mission. It's funny how the Lord puts people in your path like that. 

I love being a missionary. I love the joy it brings as we participate in the great work of gathering souls unto Christ. It means everything to me. 

I love all y'all and each y'all!
Elder Miner 

No comments:

Post a Comment